10 Superfoods For a Healthy Heart read
Feb 03 202014782 Views
What are the foods that are best for a healthy heart? Want to know? Read on to find out more about the latest trend in healthy eating—superfoods—edibles that are loaded with many nutrients in high quantities, beneficial for a healthy heart.
Here are 10 superfoods for a healthy heart:
- Dark chocolate: When it comes to listing foods that are good for heart, dark chocolate is the first delicious option that would instantly come to anyone’s mind. Any dark chocolate containing 70% and above cocoa possesses the right amount of magnesium, manganese and antioxidants to reduce heart blockages.
- Fatty fish: Two servings a week of salmon, sardines, tuna or mackerel fatty fish reduces cholesterol, blood vessel deterioration, and triglycerides. The triglycerides are calories that aren’t used as energy but stored as fat.
- Walnut: In the world of nuts, walnuts have twice the number of antioxidants than any other nut. It is rich in omega-3 and is a perfect substitute of fatty fish for vegetarians.
- Flaxseeds: Flaxseeds are rich in fibres such as omega-3 and phytosterols—the substances structurally similar to cholesterol—due to which cholesterol is less absorbed by the body.
- Avocados: One of the best fruits known to keep your heart healthy, avocados are also pregnancy superfoods. They have the highest amount of phytosterols as compared to other fruits, which means a reduction of plaque or fat build up in the arteries and blood vessels, lowering the chances of heart blockages.
- Almonds: Almonds have fibre, magnesium and monounsaturated fat in large amounts, which decrease the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) and increase the levels of good cholesterol (HDL).
- Berries: Taking just 150 gm of strawberries or blueberries or blackcurrants daily, for two months, can improve the High-Density Lipoprotein (HDL) or good cholesterol levels by about 5% and control hypertension, which decreases your chances of a heart attack.
- Citrus fruits: Lemons, oranges, grapefruits etc. are rich in a plant-based bioactive called Flavanol. It helps in easing the blood flow to the heart and brain and prevents blood clots by averting them from getting sticky.
- Oatmeal: One of the major tips for a healthy heart is to reduce weight and oatmeal is perfect for proper digestion, weight loss, and curbing and controlling Type 2 diabetes.
- Legumes: Black beans (kaali sem), kidney beans (rajma), chickpea (chana) etc. are some of the best Indian superfoods. They, apart from being rich in protein, are extremely low in cholesterol and fat, thus helping in maintaining your cholesterol levels.
Now that you are aware of the superfoods responsible for a healthy heart, all you need is the best health insurance available in the country so that you can save yourself from healthcare expenses. Get insured with ManipalCigna today— https://manipalcigna.com/